The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with regional offices in Kenya, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States, as well as a Global Program office based in Washington, DC. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
ITDP’s Global Program is seeking a Monitoring and Evaluations (M&E) Intern. ITDP’s M&E program measures the impact of work done by the entire organization. This effort includes tracking the publications, events, infrastructure changes, and policy changes done by each regional office, estimating the cumulative impacts of those interventions, and organizing in-depth evaluations of particular projects. The M&E Intern will be responsible for assisting with the day-to-day tasks of each of those work areas. They will also be responsible for identifying and pursuing opportunities to improve those workflows, taking ownership over sections of the process, as appropriate.
The M&E Intern will report directly to the Senior Research Associate responsible for M&E. They will work with the M&E Working Group (a team that includes a representative from each ITDP regional office), as well as ITDP’s Development team.
The internship will last from May 2022 to August 2022, with a possibility of extension depending on academic eligibility through May 2023. ITDP is working entirely remote because of the ongoing pandemic, and therefore the internship will be virtual until we safely welcome our teams back to the office. The intern will temporarily work remotely as well until we reopen our offices. During the temporary remote working, we are open to candidates working remotely from one of the following states only: New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Washington, D.C or Massachusetts. The intern must be available to work in our Washington, D.C. or New York City office when they reopen, likely in Fall 2022, if the internship is extended. A stipend is available of $400 per week. A computer will be provided during the internship, if needed.
- Help maintain and improve ITDP’s databases of completed projects and publications.
- Assist with project evaluations, especially survey design and data analysis.
- Coordinate meetings; identify and follow-up on action items.
- Communicate closely with the M&E Working Group and other ITDP teams.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Current enrollment in undergraduate or graduate program. Students graduating in May 2022 are not eligible.
- Critical thinking, time management skill, initiative, and attention to detail. Drive to see projects to completion.
- Strong communication skills by email, video call, and direct message.
- Dedication to equity, inclusivity, and social justice.
- Experience with Google Sheets or other spreadsheet software, including working with functions like VLOOKUP() or INDEX(MATCH()).
- Ability to work 20 hours per week May-August 2022 with a possibility of extension through May 2023. Hours are flexible between 9am and 6pm, Monday-Friday.
- Ability to temporarily work remotely from one of the following states only: New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Washington, D.C or Massachusetts.
- Ability to work in our Washington, D.C. or New York City office when they reopen, likely in Fall 2022, if the internship is extended.
- Experience working at a global organization.
- Experience with monitoring and evaluations, impact assessment, organization-wide recordkeeping, or similar.
- Any of the below are exceptional but not expected:
- Proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, Bahasa Indonesia, Tamil, or Portuguese.
- Experience with quantitative public health, especially related to air quality.
- Experience managing surveys.
- Experience with carbon emissions tracking, climate science, or related.
- Experience with development economics.
- Experience with Python, especially pandas.
- Data visualization skills.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Monitoring and Evaluations Intern” in the subject line.