The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy (ITDP) promotes sustainable and equitable transport worldwide. ITDP is a nonprofit organization headquartered in New York City with offices in Africa, Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico and the United States. ITDP’s programs focus on bus rapid transit, urban development, non-motorized transport, travel demand management, shared mobility, and transport policy. More information about ITDP can be found at www.itdp.org.
ITDP is seeking a Southeast Asia Director. The Director is ITDP’s principal representative in Southeast Asia and will be responsible for advancing ITDP’s strategic goals in the region.
Based in Jakarta, the Director provides essential support to current ITDP programs while focusing on developing new program opportunities.
The Director will report to the Chief Executive Officer and be a member of ITDP’s Senior Leadership Council. The Director will oversee the ITDP Indonesia office in Jakarta and will be expected to collaborate with senior management, senior government officials and business leaders to lead ITDP’s regional strategy, develop partnerships and funding, and manage a passionate team of mission-driven professionals to create tangible impact in cities.
Program Development & Support
- In close collaboration with the CEO, develop ITDP’s regional strategy, including measurable five-year goals; prioritization of topics and geographies; clear influence targets; and a compelling approach to scaling ITDP’s impact.
- Develop relationships with key bilateral, multilateral, foundation and corporate donors in the region. Maintain awareness of key donors’ regional and country-level funding strategies. Actively engage donors to positively influence donor strategies and programmatic and funding priorities. Provide significant leadership on program design and proposal development. Write project proposal narratives and develop budgets as needed.
- Actively develop partnerships with local authorities, international and national agencies, other NGOs and research institutes, or other valuable contacts as a means to scale ITDP’s impact and expand programming into new topics, cities or countries in accordance with ITDP’s mission.
- Collaborate closely with ITDP field staff and headquarters to identify new projects, new donors, and other mechanisms to strengthen the organizational presence in-country.
Management & Operations
- Provide strong leadership that unifies the region within an international organization while nurturing initiatives in ITDP Indonesia’s office. Manage for results.
- Lead, recruit, develop, mentor and manage the team in the region – ensuring high morale, good performance, and embodiment of ITDP’s culture and values. Manage professional development plans for each staff member and manage performance evaluation process. Conduct regular site visits and provide mentoring and backup support as needed.
- Ensure that projects are high quality, well documented and effective; coordinate a quarterly review on progress of key project indicators and milestones. Track program budgets and ensure that projects are implemented in compliance with ITDP and donor financial policies.
- Ensure institutional strength in the region, including sound financial and accounting practices, good project management, an organogram with clear roles & responsibilities and decision-making, strong human resources, inter-office collaboration, regulatory and legal compliance, etc.
- Lead diversity, equity and inclusion iniatives in the region, and champion DEI as a core value in ITDP’s programmatic and operational work.
- In coordination with the CEO and Global Communications Director oversee, identify and develop a plan to communicate ITDP’s goals, strategies and successes for the region.
- Represent ITDP in public forums and public communications. Serve as an articulate, persuasive and effective spokesperson for ITDP and its mission, goals and successes to the external community.
- Protect the reputation and technical credibility of ITDP by ensuring that products released in ITDP’s name are of the highest technical caliber and enhance the role of ITDP as a standard bearer for best practice in transportation systems.
- Maintain sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with outside organizations that are critical to the achievement of ITDP’s mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in transportation, urban planning, economics, engineering, political science or related field required.
- 10+ years progressive experience in the sustainable transport field.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice with an excellent command of sustainable transportation issues and approaches in Southeast Asia.
- Proven ability to manage a team with high morale and performance, and to collaborate effectively in an international organization with people of diverse cultures, perspectives and ideas.
- An astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; sophisticated analytic, organizational and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Experience in a progressively responsible management role; an intuitive problem solver and motivator who can analyze complex issues and develop effective solutions that enhance ITDP’s relationships, goals and initiatives.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Proven track record of fundraising in a nonprofit environment and strong connections with industry-related foundations and international aid institutions.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills; demonstrated ability to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder and fundraiser.
- Excellent coalition-building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; a persuasive negotiator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English is required.
- Ability to travel internationally on a frequent basis.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Southeast Asia Director” in the subject line.