ITDP has played a role in several projects in the African region, including the implementation of high-quality bus rapid transit (BRT) systems, cycling networks, and pedestrian projects. ITDP played a pivotal role in the implementation of Johannesburg’s silver-standard Rea Vaya BRT corridors and in Cape Town’s MyCiTi BRT. ITDP also supported the development of the Dar Rapid Transit BRT system in Dar es Salaam.
ITDP is currently engaged in sustainable transport initiatives in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Egypt, Nigeria, Ghana, and Zambia.
About the Position
Based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the Transport Planning Consultant will play a key role in the conceptualisation, design, and implementation of sustainable transport solutions. The Consultant’s primary work area will be technical analysis for the DART BRT project. Additional work areas will include street design, parking management, and urban development policy. The job will entail a significant amount of fieldwork, including site visits and supervision of surveys. The Consultant will analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation. S/he will work closely with governments, consultants, and partner organisations. The Transport Planning Consultant will be based in Dar es Salaam and will report to the Africa Program Director. S/he will work closely with head office staff, international experts, United Nations entities, and partner organizations.
- Work with governments, public transport authorities, and other bodies to collect, process, and analyze transport data.
- Plan and design non-motorised transport facilities.
- Prepare feasibility reports for transport systems.
- Gather information on international best practices in transport system design and apply lessons learned in locally.
- Support ITDP director in maintaining working relationships with national and local government officials, private sector counterparts, and NGO partners.
- Represent ITDP in meetings with civil society and government partners.
- Work with the communications team to create communications materials that facilitate implementation of ITDP initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A master’s degree in transportation planning, transportation engineering, city planning, or other relevant field.
- 4-5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Familiarity with transport planning including survey design and management; demand analysis; and network planning. Knowledge of transport modelling preferred.
- Excellent Excel, Access, CAD, and GIS software skills required.
- Familiarity with the Adobe suite preferred.
- Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
- Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
- Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful outcomes.
- Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations.
- Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure and keep to deadlines.
- Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
- Availability to travel frequently.
How to Apply
Note, this position is limited to a term of twelve months and is based in Dar es Salaam,Tanzania. Local candidates will be given preference. Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Transport Planning Consultant, Dar es Salaam” in the subject line:
- Samples of written work: thesis abstract, technical reports, etc.
- Samples of visual representations such as GIS maps or infographics.
- A one-page note on improving the bus system in your city (with three specific interventions).
We are unable to consider applications without the above details. The position will remain open until filled.
For further inquiries or more information, visit ITDP Africa.
ITDP is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, alienage or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual violence or any other status protected by applicable law.