To accelerate the decline of polluting, high carbon personal vehicles in favor of clean, low carbon solutions, ITDP promotes walking, cycling and public transportation, and increasingly, the electrification of public transportation systems. ITDP is well known for its technical assistance and advice on BRT, but we need to grow our knowledge on bus and informal transit reform more broadly, as well as help build our capacity and our ability to advise governments on electrification of public transport fleets. To that end, we are hiring a Senior Associate to support global public transport efforts in the service of this goal.
The Senior Associate will support the Global team on paratransit, bus and BRT projects, including managing the BRT Standard and the BRT Planning Guide. The Senior Associate will also work with the Special Initiatives team on electrifying public transit, leading research, developing tools and helping ITDP staff share knowledge across the organization, in order to help cities and decision makers prepare for and electrify public mass transit (buses). The Senior Associate will work with staff across the organization’s multiple offices to develop case studies, webinars and other tools, including a roadmap to electrification for external publication.
The Senior Associate will report to the Director of Research and impact and can be based in our Washington, D.C. office or in our New York City office. The Senior Associate will work cooperatively and communicate effectively with senior leadership, program staff across the organization, consultants, partners and external stakeholders. The ideal candidate has strong knowledge of and a passion for public transport.
- Provide analytic and research support to ITDP’s global team and electrification program; work with the Global team’s Director of Research and Impact and Director of Special Initiatives to carry out organization’s electrification strategy as it relates to public transport.
- Manage and update BRT projects including managing and maintaining the Standard and Planning Guide.
- Manage projects related to bus electrification, paratransit and BRT, including managing consultants and producing materials with a goal of external publication.
- Review literature; interview/survey internal staff and external partners to understand gaps and needs for research.
- Conduct data assessments and analysis as needed.
- Develop and write compelling content on public transit broadly, advancing our advocacy and technical aims, while building up our internal knowledge and external presence on bus electrification; compile information into white papers, reports, articles, memos, blog posts, web content, infographics and other materials.
- Present content, findings and publications externally at conferences and events.
- Develop content for webinars and other training for staff within ITDP and for external audiences.
- Serve an in-house expert on bus electrification, working with staff across an international organizational.
- Some travel required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (urban planning, urban studies, economics, engineering, environmental or transportation policy).
- At least 3-5 years of related experience in sustainable transport.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple complex projects within a fast-paced team environment to produce high-quality results.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines, including managing timelines and coordinating with a diverse group that will include but not be limited to staff, consultants and partners.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills needed to initiate and prepare reports and recommend/implement solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence, with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others and successfully interact with people at all levels across the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, including the ability to edit and critique writing.
- Strong public speaking skills; a polished and professional presenter of ideas via visually appealing presentations.
- Accomplishments that reflect teamwork, integrity, effectiveness, and efficiency – including the ability to influence and bring about consensus and to work independently.
- Nonprofit experience
- Experience with public transit, especially in the Global South
- Experience with electrification of transport
- Adobe Creative Suite experience
- Proficiency in another language, preferably Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, or Bhasa Indonesia
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Sr. Associate, Transit” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will close January 15, 2020.