2012 Winner: Medellin, Colombia
The solutions being implemented in Medellin are not only solving problems seen in the city itself, but in the region as a whole...
In addition to its existent sustainable transport projects - cable cars and metro and other initiatives - the following are some of the projects developed during 2011 for which the city is being nominated:
- Improvement of public spaces: quantity and quality of public spaces has been improved, by means of pedestrian connection improvements, environmental parks, urban promenades, as part of the Urban Integral Project of the city.
- Public bicycle program - "EnCicla": A public bicycle system that has started with an approach integrating universities and mass transit, along with other key destinations of the city.
- BRT - "Metroplús": The development and inauguration of a BRT project that is fully integrated (physically and fare) with the existent mass transit (metro and cable car).
- Stop lights and safe crossings: improvement of areas where crossings were not adequate and where universal accessiblity was needed.
- Intelligent mobility system (SIMM) - ITS system aimed at improving mobility for all users and improving road safety, including photo-fines, CCTV system.
- Ridesharing program "Comparte tu carro": To date, 171 institutions are part of this ridesharing/carpooling program.
- Web 2.0 developments: Through social networks and its website, the mobility-related institutions provide information and feedback to users.
- Vehicle exhaust emission control and sulphur content improvement